(Page 10 of 12)
Two tiny Lauson Smoothflo engines were offered: RLC, 1/2-3/4 HP
and RSC 3/4-1 HP. These engines were similar in construction to to
models RLA and RLB.
Double flywheel engines were offered in the following models: W,
WA, WB, and AC, in both the 600 and the 700 styles. These engines
could be furnished to operate on kerosene and were essentially the
same as those shown in catalog D.
At this point in the article it is interesting to note that in
1938 Lauson produced another 'first'. This 'first'
was a 4 cycle, vertical crankshaft engine.
A McCormick-Deering horsepowered hay baler - picture taken 1930,
five miles southeast of Balsom Lake, Wisconsin. George S. Thill on
left, now deceased, of Luck, Wisconsin and Robert Erickson on
right, from Balsom Lake, Wisconsin.
I now own this baler.
Courtesy of Morris Blomgren, Route 1, Siren, Wisconsin 54872
In June 1941 the Lauson Company was purchased by the Hart-Carter
Company of Peoria, Illinois. Through its affiliation with
Hart-Carter, Lauson was able to step up its production tempo and
also improve manufacturing methods. It was probably at this time
that production of double flywheel engines stopped.
During the war, Lauson went into production of lightweight
aluminum engines. By substituting aluminum alloys for cast iron,
the Army was spared the necessity of transporting millions of extra
pounds to battle fronts all over the world.
To give improved performance on 100 octane gasoline, Lauson also
went into production of engines equipped with Stellite faced valves
and valve seats, and in 1942 the company set up its own Stellite
It was this kind of quality which earned The Lauson Company the
Army Air Forces 'A Rating', which was given only to those
companies whose methods of testing and inspecting eliminated the
need for additional Army checking.
Engines shown in the 1946 (?) catalog.
Before engines are discussed it might be interesting to note
some of the more interesting Lauson 'firsts' that are
listed in this catalog; they are as follows: Lauson was the first
to design and build the hopper cooled engine; Lauson was the first
to build tractors with the engine mounted lengthwise in the frame;
Lauson was the first to enclose tractor drive gears and pinions in
an oil tight case: Lauson was the first to mix water and fuel in
kerosene burning engines: Lauson was the first to build
light-weight, air-cooled industrial engines with ball bearings at
each end of the crankshaft; Lauson was the first to design and
build the TACO governor used on Fordson tractors and industrial
Engines were shown in the following air-cooled Models: RLC 1/2 -
3/4 HP, RSC 1-1/2 HP, TLC 2.3 HP, PAC 4 HP; two water-cooled models
were also offered: RC 1-1-1/2 HP and LF 3.7 HP.
Construction features of these engines are as follows: Piston,
heat treated aluminum alloy; cylinder, grey iron; connecting rod,
PAC had drop forged steel, all other models have aluminum alloy;
Crankshaft, drop forged steel; intake valve, steel; Exhaust valve,
PAC-steel with stellite faced head, all other models are steel stem
with authentic steel head.
Page: << Previous 1
| 10 | 11
| Next >>