'How Your Hobby Started'
(Page 7 of 10)
Crescent offered one and two cylinder stationary power units.
Being of the vertical type they were equipped with a flywheel on
each end of the crankshaft. The air intake was through the
crankcase of this two part type of two cycle engine.
Various models of combination units were built and the directly
connected centrifugal pump outfit made a nice compact machine. Also
directly connected engine and electric generators were built from 5
to 25 hp. which in those days were rated in the number of 55 watt
15 candle power lamps the outfit would supply. They guaranteed
these plants would furnish electric lights that would not flicker.
This required good constant speed.
Originally these engines were manufactured by Universal Kerosene
Engine Company of New York. Samuel Moore Corporation were
engineers, machinists and founders at No. 10 First Street in New
York City. The specifications of the power and generating sizes
that were available are as follows:
|H.P.||FLOOR SPACE INCHES||HEIGHT OF UNIT||PULLEY SIZE||R.P.M.||NO. OF 16 C.P. LAMPS||SHIPPING WEIGHT|
|5||36 x 32||50?||12 x 6?||400||50||1200|
|8||42 x 36||56||14 x 10||375||80||1800|
|12||46 x 40||68||16 x 11||350||120||2500|
|18||62 x 36||56||20 x 12||375||180||3600|
|25||72 x 40||68||50 x 12||350||250||4500|
Standard equipment furnished with the engines included a
muffler, pulley, wrenches and starting blow torch, with complete
A marine adaptation of these engines were built in a low
crankcase type with a built-in rotary water pump for cooling, a
sight feed oiler to all bearings, injection pump mounted on the
front main bearing and with a marine type flywheel. Marine thrust
bearing and reverse clutch were also available on special equipment
orders. The specifications were as follows:
|H.P.||NO. OF CYL.||R. P. M.||LENGTH INCHES||WIDTH INCHES||DIA. OF FLYWHEEL||SHIPPING WEIGHT|
|15||2||500 to 600||40||18?||21||750|
|22||3||500 to 600||48||18?||21||1000|
Regular standard accessories were supplied and the propeller,
shafting and fittings could be supplied on special order.
In Evansville, Wisconsin, the Baker Manufacturing Company built
a line of gasoline engines as early as 1900 that were known as the
Monitor Gasoline Engines.
Through the courtesy of Tom Graves from his Monitor Catalog No.
51E, he supplies the details of these engines. These were of the
vertical single cylinder four cycle type and also built in a
horizontal unit of approximately the same size. A complete
selection of auxiliary equipment was offered including a small 2
hp. pump jack, wood saws, concrete mixer and a diaphragm pump.
Page: << Previous 1
| 7 | 8
| Next >>