The Centaur Tractor
(Page 2 of 4)
The 1927 Model 'G' Centaur with automatic governor,
extension rims and complete lug equipment weighed 1220 lbs. and
cost $484. This Model 'G' was also called the Centaur 6-10.
An optional belt pulley mounted on the front of the engine
crankshaft was available. Most of the Model 'G' tractors
delivered for field use in dusty conditions had a large Pomona air
washer mounted on the front. Another interesting attachment was a
gear reduction device mounted above the transmission to provide a
speed as slow as ? mile an hour for pulling transplanters.
In the year 1929, the Model 'G' was changed and improved
with a larger LeRoi engine (Model 'T', 3 3/8 x 4 ?, b x s)
adding two more horse power, becoming a 6-12. Gears, pins and chain
were strengthened, as were the drive wheels, to accommodate the
added power. These changes coincided with a factory name change
from the 'Central Tractor Company,' to the 'Centaur
Tractor Corporation.' Two parcels of land in the village of
Greenwich with all the buildings were sold to the Centaur Tractor
Corporation for the sum of One Dollar ($1.00), by C. E. Stuart,
president and Mr. A. B. Thomson, secretary of the Central Tractor
Company. Also, in this year, Centaur was able to deliver field
driven mowers from McCormick Deering, Walter A. Wood, John Deere,
and Massey Harris with hitch modifications to plug directly into
the Model 'G' drawbar. This tractor apparently sold well.
It was advertised, not as a better tractor than others, but as a
replacement for the horse. This was meant to attract first time
tractor buyers who had small farms. Many of these tractors were
exported to France where they were ideal for vineyard cultivating
because of the narrow wheel width.
The years 1929-30 were difficult for many manufacturers
(particularly those who made farm equipment) with the Depression
getting underway. The Centaur Corp. in some way became part of the
organized independent manufacturers and distributors company called
the 'United Tractor and Machinery Company' of Chicago. The
Model 'G' was advertised as the United-Centaur tractor.
This organization did not last long.* However, the Model
'G' continued to be built in Greenwich by Centaur.
In 1934, an Edgar A. Cross of Greenwich filed a patent
application for an improved type of tractor as follows: 'A
purpose is to provide a tractor in which the relationship of the
various parts is such as to provide greatly increased visibility
for the ground surface immediately adjacent to and in front of the
operator.' The patent was granted in 1936 and assigned to the
Centaur Tractor Corp. This was the beginning of the 'Klear
View' or KV series of Centaurs.
This 'KV-22' was powered by a 4 cylinder LeRoi, 22 HP
engine with Eisemann magneto ignition and weighed in at 2200 lbs.
An optional power take off belt pulley was available. Because of
the unique features of the Klear-View design, the tractor was only
45' high. It was an 'unstyled' KV, i.e. flat fenders
and no grille. This model was produced until WW II.