A 'Lazarus' Project
(Page 2 of 2)
I made a plug to fit snugly in the cylinder; then, using a ball
in the 1/8-inch pipe plug hole in the cylinder as a set screw, I
trimmed the cylinder base flange perpendicular to the bore. I
finished the top of the piston with a band saw, belt sander and
ball end mill.
After I cleaned up the crank pin, it was necessary to bore, tin,
babbitt and rebore the connecting rod end.
I repaired the cooling fins with a modeling clay form with a
sandwich bag mould release and the restorer's friend, JB Weld. I
also replaced the crankshaft main bearings while I had everything
At this point I returned it to my friend for assembly and
painting. After painting the correct color as near as we could
determine, we proceeded with the assembly of the engine. We rebuilt
the carburetor and governor and installed a new deflooder valve. We
then mounted it on varnished oak skids along with a matching
battery box. After considerable tinkering and adjusting, it fired
up and ran beautifully. The little Maytag now starts easily with a
turn of the flywheel by thumb and makes quite a show. This is how
you bring a "Lazarus" back to life!
Contact engine enthusiast Leon Ridenour at: 4610
Sunflower Road, Knoxville, TN 37909; (865) 584-9759.
Page: << Previous 1
| 2 |