Ingeco Model AK Is Reborn
Peter Rooke gives a tired 2-1/2 HP Ingeco Model AK new life with a full restoration — Part 1 of 3
Peter Rooke undertakes the restoration of a 2-1/2 HP Ingeco, no. 14,173.
Photo By Peter Rooke
The International Gas Engine Co. was established in Cudahy, Wis., in 1912 and produced a range of horizontal and vertical engines before being taken over by the Worthington Pump and Machinery Co. in 1916. The Worthington Co. continued to sell Ingeco engines for a while, merely rebadging them, until it produced its own slightly modified engines as the “Type W,” which were phased out by 1921. These engines were supplied either as stationary engines or as farm portables and were mainly throttle-governed and run on kerosene.
This engine, a Model AK, is no. 14,173 and appears to have been made around 1914/1915. The nametag on the engine confirmed the Ingeco name, noting it was sold by the Worthington Pump Co. Ltd. of London. I understand that this engine was originally supplied to operate a water pump on a local county estate, Annesley Hall, located less than 50 miles from me.
When I acquired the engine it appeared in good working condition, but it needed a full restoration as the paint was peeling off in numerous places and the color was not original. At least the engine started and ran, but the mixer needle needed attention as there was a very fine balance of either too much fuel or not enough.
The engine had a sub-frame, indicating it was originally fitted in a fixed location rather than being portable, as portable engines were fitted on carts and did not have sub-frames.
As usual, I wanted to find out more about my purchase. I found that Reed Benton, Wassaic, N.Y., keeps a registry of these engines and he proved most helpful in providing some pictures and measurements that enabled me to build a replica cart and its hardware.
Before starting work, I took photographs from different angles and close-ups of more intricate areas. These would provide a source of reference if I found that there were parts left over when the engine was reassembled! After I removed the more fragile items, like the oiler, greasers and igniter/magneto, one of the first parts I removed was the fuel tank, as it needed to be cleaned out and ventilated before I could repair a leak around the fuel tap. This tank seemed to have been renewed at some time, and except for a problem with the connection to the pipe work it appeared in good condition.
The flywheels and pulley came off easily, and then I removed the gears after ensuring the index marks were visible. After I removed the governor (and its linkages), the fuel piping and muffler, I removed the cylinder head. I took the mixer off the head while it was on the work bench.
After I unscrewed the big end bolts I removed the crankshaft caps so the crank could be lifted off and the piston/con-rod assembly slid out. Most of the bearing shims were made from cardboard, which disintegrated when removed, so I decided they would be replaced with metal shims. After I unscrewed the connecting bolts, I removed the cylinder from the main casting. While the heavy flywheels and cylinder block could be lifted by one person, I used an engine crane to support these parts while they were separated to prevent an accident.
Page: 1 | 2
| Next >>